The Tax Supervisor effectively supervises several engagements simultaneously, ensuring optimum client satisfaction. This position is responsible for leading staff, instructing them in work to be performed, reviewing completed work, and directing necessary revisions. Under minimal supervision, accepts responsibility for the successful outcome of client engagements; performs a wide variety of advanced accounting functions.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Responsible overseeing multiple projects / engagements, ensuring client satisfaction, timely completion, and staff development.
- Performs a broad range of diversified advanced accounting functions, demonstrating thorough knowledge of tax accounting and tax law.
- Under direction of a manager or partner, oversees the planning and scheduling of client engagements.
- Can be relied upon to solve any problems encountered, offer recommendations for improvement of relevant client business practices, and to ensure successful completion of engagements in a timely and accurate fashion.
- Oversees, trains, and instructs lower level staff positions; shares knowledge and provides positive honest feedback and guidance; effectively delegates and leverages work to ensure client satisfaction and staff development.
- Assists in the development of tax policies and procedures for the firm.
- Efficiently and accurately prepares, reviews, and revises work papers.
- Communicates on behalf of client to tax authorities, including notices and examinations.
- Prepares complicated tax returns for individual, corporate, partnership, and others.
- Prepares correspondence; processes reports; develops/maintains spreadsheets; conducts research of complex technical issues as necessary.
- Demonstrates thorough knowledge and understanding of tax compliance and relevant matters.
- Demonstrates ability to monitor project status to meet budgets, deadlines and quality control standards; appropriately prioritizes multiple assignments.
- Understanding of firm metrics and timely manages client billings
- Demonstrates an understanding of clients’ business, and of the unique aspects of each client’s industry.
- Meets w/clients on a regular basis, develops business familiarity through client interaction; returns all phone calls in a prompt and professional manner.
- Readily displays the attributes of an effective and competent firm representative; demonstrating a high level of expertise in one or more specialized industry areas.
- Assumes responsibility for client workload; anticipates or recognizes problems/issues and recommends solutions in a timely manner, keeping partner informed as needed.
- Actively promotes and facilitates teamwork throughout the firm.
- Clearly and effectively communicates orally and in writing.
- Develops and maintains referral network; actively pursues opportunities for firm growth; promotes the firm’s practice to existing and potential clients, identifying additional client service needs.
- Maintain and expand professional skills via CPE and other sources.
- Contribute to the firm’s objectives by fostering a positive environment with personal cooperation and a good attitude.
- Demonstrate firm’s objective of integrity and professional compassion by treating others fairly and with respect.
- Exhibit professional conduct towards visitors, clients and fellow employees through appearance and manner.
- Maintains good attendance arrives on time and provides adequate notice of needed absences.
WHAT WE SEEK
The Supervisor position requires a minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in public accounting, with demonstrated advanced knowledge of tax accounting and proven experience in supervising staff and reviewing work performed by them for accuracy, technical understanding of tax laws as well as opportunities for clients. Also requires, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field and a regularly maintained CPA license is highly preferred. Must possess proficiency in Microsoft Office package, and the ability to quickly become proficient in the firm’s other information technology tools. Experience with CCH software packages is recommended, but not required. Qualified candidates will also possess excellent written and oral communication skills, self-accountable with the strong ability to plan and organize work for self and others, and strong interpersonal and supervisory skills. Must be a strategic thinker and possess the ability to market the firm’s services. Proven experience in business development or strong desire to further develop are recommended but not required. The Tax Supervisor effectively supervises several engagements simultaneously, ensuring optimum client satisfaction. This position is responsible for leading staff, instructing them in work to be performed, reviewing completed work, and directing necessary revisions. Under minimal supervision, accepts responsibility for the successful outcome of client engagements; performs a wide variety of advanced accounting functions.
ABOUT MUELLER PROST
- Best Places to Work 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020 Winner, St. Louis Business Journal
- Largest Accounting Firms List, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, St. Louis Business Journal
- The 2020 Regional Leaders – Top 100 Firms: Midwest, Accounting Today
- Who’s Who in Law and Accounting 2015, St. Louis Business Journal
- Top 200 Fastest Growing Firms, 2018, Inside Public Accounting